Embedded System Design - May 2013
Electronics Engineering (Semester 7)
TOTAL MARKS: 80
TOTAL TIME: 3 HOURS (1) Question 1 is compulsory.
(2) Attempt any three from the remaining questions.
(3) Assume data if required.
(4) Figures to the right indicate full marks. 1 (a) Discuss design metric issues faced while designing an embedded system with the help of an example.(5 marks) 1 (b) Describe addressing modes of MSP430 or ARM7TDMI.(5 marks) 1 (c) Explain various basic serial communication methods.(5 marks) 1 (d) Compare software programming in assembly and C programming language.(5 marks) 2 (a) Describe the operating modes and basic clock modules of MSP430.(10 marks) 2 (b) Provide description of exceptions in ARM7TDMI (interrupts)(10 marks) 3 (a) Explain thumb mode of ARM7TDMI core and compare it with normal mode.(10 marks) 3 (b) With the help of a suitable (block) diagram explain
(i) Graphic LCD.
(ii) RS 232/485
(iii) PWM DC Motor (speed control) interfacing.(10 marks) 4 (a) With the help of suitable examples, describe following C-program elements:-
(i) Header file.
(ii) Pre-processor directive.
(iii) Macro functions.
(v) Link-List.(10 marks) 4 (b) For the given task calculate :-
(i) Waiting time(ii) turnaround time for the Shortest Job First (SJF) and Earliest Deadline First (EDF) scheduling. Comment on the result. All tasks entered ready queue at the same time.
(10 marks) 5 (a) Give need for inter-process communication and synchronization. Describe the methods of the same (IPC) in detail.(10 marks) 5 (b) What is real time system? Compare RTOS with traditional OS. Discuss interrupts with respect to real time behaviour.(10 marks) 6 Design a car control embedded system with the following specifications / features:-
(i) It is an electric car
(ii) Steering angle, acceleration, direction (R/F) are inputs from driver
(Iii) It control speed, Left/Right steering, Forward/Backward direction
(iv) Displays speed
For designing above system give/show:-
1) Show block diagram for hardware
2) Software modules/drivers diagram, flowchart
3) FSM/Petrinet model of the system
4) Real time challenges and solutions
5) Suggest hardware and software solutions/tools used
6) Suggest testing, debugging, realtime issues.(20 marks)
Write short notes on any three:-
7 (a) Discuss and compare various embedded micro-controller core like RISC, CISC, SOC, ARM.(7 marks) 7 (b) Give features of CAN and explain protocol.(7 marks) 7 (c) Describe embedded system programming tools like compiler, cross-compiler, integrated development environment, in circuit emulator.(7 marks) 7 (d) Explain priority inversion problems and solutions.(7 marks)