Microprocessor & Interfacing - Jun 2015
Computer Engineering (Semester 5)
TOTAL MARKS: 100
TOTAL TIME: 3 HOURS (1) Question 1 is compulsory.
(2) Attempt any four from the remaining questions.
(3) Assume data wherever required.
(4) Figures to the right indicate full marks.
Answer the following questions
1 (a) 1) What are the advantages of segmentation in 8086?(2 marks)
1 (a) 2) Which 8086 registers are used as memory pointer? Explain the use of memory pointer registers in 8086?(2 marks)
1 (a) 3) If the Code segment register contains 5000H and the instruction pointer register contains 2400H.What is the physical address?(1 marks)
1 (a) 4) What are the controlling flags in 8086? Explain in detail.(2 marks)
1 (b) 1. Briefly explain following directives with example EVEN , DD , SEGMENT
2. Briefly explain following instructions with example AAM , DIV, XLAT and CBW(7 marks) 2 (a) Write an assembly level programme that averages two values of 16-bit number present in the memory location 3000:0100 and 3000:0102. Store the result in the next memory location.(7 marks) 2 (b) If BX=0158h, DI=10A5h, DS=2100h and DS is used as segment register. Explain and calculate effective address and physical address for following addressing modes. Also identify addressing mode used in the instruction
MOV AX,[BX][DI]+1234h(7 marks) 2 (c) Write an assembly level programme that will find out the number of even and odd numbers from a given series of 16 bit numbers.(7 marks) 3 (a) Explain following
1. Explain the differences between near and far procedure
2. Explain the differences between Macro and Procedure
3. Explain the interrupt response sequence of the 8086 microprocessor(7 marks) 3 (b) What are the differences between minimum mode and maximum mode operation of 8086? Draw minimum mode system with RAM, ROM and I/O port.(7 marks) 3 (c) Briefly explain respond of 8086 when it receive signal on hardware interrupt pin NMI and INTR.(7 marks) 3 (d) Draw and explain memory read machine cycle of 8086 in minimum mode. Briefly explain ODD and EVEN bank concept in 8086.(7 marks) 4 (a) Briefly explain six functional units of internal architecture of 80386. Explain register structure of 80386.(7 marks) 4 (b) Explain the physical address formation in protected mode of the 80386 with reference to paging and without paging(7 marks) 4 (c) Briefly explain segment descriptor and call gate descriptor in 80386. Briefly explain use of call gate descriptor.(7 marks) 4 (d) Briefly explain task state segment (TSS) and task register (TR) in 80386. Briefly explain different ways of task switching in 80386.(7 marks) 5 (a) Compare real mode, protected mode and virtual 8086 mode in 80386.Briefly explain interrupt handling in Protected mode.(7 marks) 5 (b) 1. Explain the advanced features of 80486 compared to 80386.
2. Explain the advanced features of Pentium processor.(7 marks) 5 (c) Briefly explain super scalar architecture, Hyper thread technology and core 2 duo technology in Intel P6 family processor.(7 marks) 5 (d) Compare CISC and RISC architecture. Briefly explain Register window in SUNSPARC.(7 marks)