Building & Town Planning - May 2015
Civil Engineering (Semester 4)
TOTAL MARKS: 100
TOTAL TIME: 3 HOURS (1) Question 1 is compulsory.
(2) Attempt any four from the remaining questions.
(3) Assume data wherever required.
(4) Figures to the right indicate full marks. 1 Draw ground floor and first floor plan of a two storeyed residential building on a 14×19 m plot area for a family of six persons as per building bye laws and principle of planning. Also draw front elevation of the building. Assume suitable direction of north and front road. Also assume necessary data.(14 marks) 2 (a) Enlist principle of planning and explain any two in detail.(7 marks)
Answer any one question from Q2 (b) & Q2 (c)
2 (b) Explain objective and scope of building bye-laws.(7 marks) 2 (c) Explain in brief Set-back, Light plane and FSI.(7 marks)
Answer any two question from Q3 (a), (b) & Q3 (c), (d)
3 (a) Explain symmetry, simplicity and continuity in planning of earthquake resistant buildings.(7 marks) 3 (b) Draw a line diagram of a Post office. Take size of units, according to general requirements of public building.(7 marks) 3 (c) Draw the neat sketch of site plan and layout plan.(7 marks) 3 (d) Explain the terms: Picture plane, Station point, Centre of vision, Vanishing point, Eye level, ground plane, angle of vision.(7 marks)
Answer any two question from Q4 (a), (b) & Q4 (c), (b)
4 (a) Define term "Town Planning". Explain principles of town planning.(7 marks)
4 (b) Differentiate between:
1. Functional survey and territorial survey
2. Social survey and vital survey(7 marks) 4 (c) Explain civic survey in detail.(7 marks) 4 (d) Define zoning. Explain importance and objects of zoning.(7 marks)
Answer any two question from Q5(a), (b) & Q5 (c), (d)
5 (a) Write short note on principles of neighbourhood planning.(7 marks) 5 (b) Explain urban patterns with sketches.(7 marks) 5 (c) What are the causes and effects of slums?(7 marks) 5 (d) Draw a chart of pillars of a smart city.(7 marks)