Hydrology & Water Resources Engineering - May 2016
Civil Engineering (Semester 5)
TOTAL TIME: HOURS
1 (a) Describe non-automatic and automatic rain gauges. Explain the merits and
demerits of each.(7 marks)
1 (b) A thunder storm of 6hour duration produces the following flood hydrograph.
Derive the ordinates of unit hydrograph for a catchment area of 2845 km2. Also
sketch the resulting unit hydrograph.
|Date||July 3||July 4||July 5|
|Time (hour)||6 am||12 noon||6 pm||12 mid night||6 am||12 noon||6 pm||12 mid night||6 am||12 noon|
If the volume of measured runoff due to storm is 1.4×106 m3, estimate the φ-index of the basin.
|Time from start of storm (hours)||0||2||4||6||8||10||12||14|
|Accumulated rainfall (mm)||0||8||18||59||68||83||89||95|
Solve any one question from Q2(b) & Q2(c)
2 (b) Define the following with figure
(1) Earthen dam
(2) Gravity dam
(3) Arch dam
(4) Buttress dam
(5) Spillway(7 marks) 2 (c) Describe in detail the factors affecting infiltration.(7 marks)
Solve any two question from Q3(a), Q3(b) & Q3(c), Q3(d)
3 (a) Define unit hydrograph and its uses. Clearly explain the assumption made in the derivation of unit hydrograph.(7 marks)
3 (b) Define the following
(4) Specific yield
(5) Specific retention
(6) Storage coefficient
(7) Transmissibility coefficient(7 marks) 3 (c) Explain Darcy's law with its limitations. Describe the procedure of proving it Experimentally.(7 marks) 3 (d) Describe in brief
(1) Reservoir sedimentation
(2) Reservoir capacity(7 marks)
Solve any two question from Q4(a), Q4(b) & Q4(c), Q4(d)
4 (a) Describe the various components of a typical hydropower plant with a neat sketch.
Also discuss the function of each component.(7 marks)
4 (b) Describe the situations under which the following dams are constructed
(1) Gravity dam
(2) earthen dam
(3) Arch dam.
Also describe any two major reservoirs of India.(7 marks) 4 (c) Define flood and its causes. Also discuss various measures taken to control the Flood.(7 marks) 4 (d) (i) Define the following
(a) Return period
(b) Spillway design flood
(c) Probable maximum flood(3 marks) 4 (d) (ii) bridge has an expected life of 25 years and designed for flood management of return period 100 years.
(a) What is the risk of this hydrologic design
(b) if a 10% risk is acceptable, what return period will have to be adopted.(4 marks)
Solve any two question from Q5(a), Q5(b) & Q5(c), Q5(d)
5 (a) Distinguish between
(1) Hydraulic and hydrologic method of flood routing
(2) Hydrologic storage routing and hydrologic channel routing
(3) Prism storage and wedge storage(7 marks) 5 (b) Describe the types of drought and its causes.(7 marks) 5 (c) Describe various measures of water conservation and augmentation.(7 marks) 5 (d) Describe in brief
(1) Channel improvement
(2) Flood damage analysis(7 marks)