Question Paper: Engineering Geology Question Paper - May 17 - Civil Engineering (Semester 3) - Mumbai University (MU)
Civil Engineering (Semester 3)
Total marks: 80
Total time: 3 Hours
(1) Question No. 1 is compulsory.
(2) Attempt any three from remaining five questions.
(3) Draw neat diagrams wherever necessary
Write the identifying properties and economic use of the following minerals -
- (i) Calcite
- (ii) Graphite
- (iii) Biotite
- (iv) Orthoclase
- (v) Corundum
Define the following terms -
- (i) Engineering Geology
- (iv) Delta
- (v) Cone of Depression
Draw a neat sketch of the following -
- (i) Pedestal/mushroom rock
- (ii) Columnar joint
(iv) Box fold
- (v) Alluvial Fan
Name the following -
- (i) Boundary between crust and mantle
- (ii) A texture of rock where all the constituent grains are of equal size
- (iii) Water present in the pore spaces of rock beneath the earth surface
- (iv) The type of metamorphism where pressure plays the dominant role
- (v) The depression at the mouth of volcano
2(a) Describe various landforms created by glaciers.
2(b) What is chemical weathering?
2(c) Briefly describe internal structure of Earth.
3(a) Describe various textures of igneous rocks.
3(b) How sedimentary rocks are formed, describe any two structures of these rocks.
3(c) Describe various agents of metamorphism.
4(a) What are Faults? Give a brief account of various types of Faults in the rocks.
4(b) What is order of superposition?
4(c) What are the various causes of landslide?
5(a) Describe the seismic method of geophysical investigation.
5(b) Describe the favourable and unfavourable geological structures while choosing the alignment of tunnel.
5(c) Describe the zones of groundwater.
(5 X 4 = 20 marks)
Differentiate between any 5 of the following:
(i) Confined and unconfined aquifer
(ii) Overturned and recumbent fold
(iii) Angular unconformity and Nonconformity
(iv) Central eruption and Fissure eruption
(v) Thermal and Dynamic Metamorphism
(vi) Strike and streak
(vii) Fracture and cleavage
modified 6 months ago
written 7 months ago by