Engineering Geology - Dec 17
Civil Engineering (Semester 3)
Total marks: 80
Total time: 3 Hours INSTRUCTIONS
(1) Question No. 1 is compulsory.
(2) Attempt any four questions out of remaining six.
(3) Draw neat diagrams wherever necessary
- (i) Fibrous form, Lustre - Silky, Splintery fracture
- (ii) Massive form, Colour - lead grey, Streak - lead grey, Lustre - Metallic, Sp. Gravity 7.4 - 7.6, Chemical composition - PbS.
- (iii) Lamellar form, Colour - Black, Lustre - Pearly, Cleavage - Basal Pinacoid.
- (iv) Banded form, mostly found with haematite, Lustre - Waxy, Cleavage - Absent, Hardness - 7.
- (v) Granulur pisolitic form, Crystal System - Amorphous, Lustre - Dull, Fracture - Uneven, Chemical Composition
(ii) Name the parent rock of marble and quartzite.
(iii) What do you mean by acidic and basic rock? 435
(iv) What do you mean by exfoliation? 441
(v) State the relationship between dip and strike?
(i) Core between normal and inverted limbs with horizontal axis. 449
(ii) Group of synclines and anticlines with parallel axes.
(iii) Isolated water table held by small extension of impervious rock within previous tract. 449
(iv) The structure with bands of platy minerals alternate with granular minerals.
(v) Two normal faults forming wedge shaped block mountain.
(a) Various products erupted during volcanic activities.
(b) Water bearing qualities of rock.
(c) Properties of good building stones. 436
(d) Various types of plate boundaries. 4442
(e) Use of seismic waves in understanding the interior of the Earth.
(i) Solifluction and soil creep 467
(ii) Non conformity and disconformity 457
(iii) Fold axis and axial plane of fold 453
(iv) Lacolith and batholith
|No of samples||Length of sample (in cm)||Nature of joints|