1. Optical Fiber Communication Technology
• Block diagram, advantages, loss and bandwidth window.
• Ray theory transmission, total internal reflection, acceptance angle, numerical aperture, and skew rays.
• EM waves, modes in planer guide, phase and group velocities, types of fibers according to refractive index profile and mode transmission.
• Fiber material, fiber cables and fiber fabrication, fiber joints, fiber connectors, splices.
2. Transmission Characteristic of Optical Fiber
• Attenuation, absorption, linear and nonlinear scattering losses, bending losses.
• Modal dispersion, waveguide dispersion, dispersion and pulse broadening, dispersion shifted and dispersion flattened fibers, and nonlinear effects.
• Measurements of attenuation, dispersion and OTDR.
3. Optical Communication Systems
• Working principle and characteristics of sources (LED, LASER), and optical amplifiers.
• Working principle and characteristics of detectors (PIN, APD).
• Noise analysis in detectors, coherent and non-coherent detection, receiver structure.
• Bit error rate of optical receivers, and receiver performance,
• Point to point links system considerations, link power budget, and rise time budget.
4. Optical Network System Components and Optical Networks
• Couplers, isolators, circulators, multiplexers, filters, fiber gratings,
• Fabry Perot filters, arrayed waveguide grating, switches and wavelength converters,
• SONET and SDH standards, architecture of optical transport networks (OTNs), network topologies, protection schemes in SONET/SDH, and wavelength routed architectures,
• Operational principle of WDM, WDM network elements and Architectures,
• Introduction to DWDM, Soliton.
5. Packet Switching and Access Networks
• OTDM, multiplexing and de-multiplexing, synchronization and broadcast OTDM,
• Network architecture overview, OTDN networks, optical access networks, and future networks, access networks.
6. Network Design and Management
• Transmission system model, power penalty-transmitter, receiver optical amplifiers, crosstalk, dispersion, wavelength stabilization,
• Network management functions, configuration management, performance management, fault management,
• Optical safety, and service interface.