Question Paper: Database Management System Question Paper - May 18 - Computer Engineering (Semester 5) - Mumbai University (MU)
Computer Engineering (Semester 5)
Total marks: 80
Total time: 3 Hours
(1) Question No. 1 is compulsory
(2) Solve any three from remaining questions
(3) Draw neat diagrams wherever necessary
1(a) Construct an E-R diagram for a Library Management System. Convert the E-R Diagram to Tables.
1(b) Explain Authorization in SQL.
1(c) List four significant differences between file processing system and database management system.
2(a) Explain types of integrity constraints with example.
Write SQL queries for the given database.
, emp-name, street, city)
Works(eid, cid, salary)
, comp-name, city)
- (i) Find the names of all the employees having 'S' as first letter in their names.
- (ii) Display the annual salary of all the employees.
- (iii) Find the name, street and city of all employees who work for "Accenture" and earn more than 30,000.
- (iv) Give total number of employees.
3(a) What is an attribute? Explain different types of attributes with examples.
3(b) What is Normalization? Explain 1NF, 2NF, 3NF, and BCNF.
Explain following terms with examples
(i) Weak Entity Set
(ii) Data Independence
- (iii) Extended ER features
- (iv) Total and Partial participation
4(b) Explain any five Relational Algebra Operators in detail.
5(a) What is Transaction? Discuss the ACID properties of Transaction.
5(b) Describe the overall architecture of DBMS with suitable diagram.
6(a) Explain Log based recovery.
Write a note on:
- (i) Armstrong axioms
- (ii) Thomas write rule
modified 8 weeks ago
written 3 months ago by