Manufacturing Process 1 - Jan 2013
Mechanical Engineering (Semester 3)
TOTAL MARKS: 100
TOTAL TIME: 3 HOURS (1) Question 1 is compulsory.
(2) Attempt any four from the remaining questions.
(3) Assume data wherever required.
(4) Figures to the right indicate full marks. 1 (a) What is manufacturing?Discuss the factors to be considered in the selection of a process for production(5 marks) 1 (b) Briefly discuss the steps involvedin making a casting(5 marks) 1 (c) What are the different allowence given on a pattern?Sketch and explain match plate pattern(5 marks) 1 (d) Write a note on binders and additives used in moduling(5 marks) 2 (a) What are the desirable propertise of a moduling sand?(5 marks) 2 (b) Define core.List different types of core .Sketch and explain balanced core(5 marks) 2 (c) Draw a neat sketch of a gatting system showing all the elements(5 marks) 2(d) Explain with a sketch ,the working of sand slinger (5 marks) 3 (a) With a neat sketch,briefly explain different steps involved in shell modulling process and mention its advantage and disadvantage(10 marks) 3 (b) With a neat sketch ,expalin continuos casting process and mentioned its advantages and disadvantages (10 marks) 4 (a) Explain the Construction and working principle of cupola furance,with a sketch (12 marks) 4 (b) Describe with a neat sketch the coreless induction furance(8 marks) 5 (a) what is welding process?What are the advantages of welding over the manufacturing process?List the industrial applictaion of welding(8 marks) 5 (b) Explain the following welding process, with necessary sketches and their field of application
1. Tungsten inert gas welding
2. Submerged arc welding(12 marks) 6 (a) What a neat sketch explain Thernit welding and what are the advantages and disadvantages of Thermilt welding process(8 marks) 6 (b) With sketch ,expali the laser beam welding process .Mention advantages and limitaion of laser welding also give application(10 marks) 7 (a) Sketch and explain structure of welds (6 marks) 7 (b) Explain the different welding defects and also give cause and remedies(10 marks) 7 (c) Write a note on residual stress in welding(4 marks) 8 (a) Compare the soldering and brazing process .Mention their advantges and disadvantges and application for same (10 marks) 8 (b) Explain with neat sketches ,advantages and disadvantage of radiography inspection(10 marks)