Database Management System - Jun 2015
Computer Engineering (Semester 3)
TOTAL MARKS: 100
TOTAL TIME: 3 HOURS (1) Question 1 is compulsory.
(2) Attempt any four from the remaining questions.
(3) Assume data wherever required.
(4) Figures to the right indicate full marks. 1 (a) Define: (1) Data (2) Entity (3) Meta Data (4) Super key (5) Not Null (6) Data Integrity (7) Dual(7 marks) 1 (b) Differentiate Between: (1) update and insert (2) primary key and foreign key (3) grant and revoke (4) row and column(7 marks) 2 (a) Define DBMS. Explain the DBMS languages with examples: DDL, DML, and DCL.(7 marks)
Answer any one question from Q2 (b) & Q2 (c)
2 (b) Who is DBA? Explain the role of DBA in DBMS.(7 marks) 2 (c) Explain the three level architecture of DBMS and its advantages.(7 marks)
Answer any two question from Q3 (a), (b) & Q3 (c), (d)
3 (a) Define E-R Diagram. Draw E-R diagram with Customer, Loan and Payment sets.(7 marks)
3 (b) Write query for the following:
(1) To create a table from a table.
(2) To eliminate duplicate rows.
(3) To add a new column in the table
(4) To sort data in a table(7 marks) 3 (c) List the steps in proper sequence in order to convert an ER and EER diagram into tables.(7 marks) 3 (d) Explain any three Aggregate functions and Scalar functions with examples.(7 marks)
Answer any two question from Q4 (a), (b) & Q4 (c), (b)
4 (a) What is functional dependency? Explain the its types in detail.(7 marks) 4 (b) What is a view? Explain how to create, its types and significance in DBMS.(7 marks) 4 (c) What is Normalization? What are its characteristics? Explain 2NF and 3NF in detail.(7 marks) 4 (d) Explain all types of Joins with commands and examples.(7 marks)
Answer any two question from Q5(a), (b) & Q5 (c), (d)
5 (a) Define Transaction. Explain the transaction properties and transaction states.(7 marks) 5 (b) What is locking? Explain Two phase locking and its types.(7 marks) 5 (c) What is deadlock? Explain necessary conditions for deadlock and methods for handling it.(7 marks) 5 (d) Define Failure? Explain Log based Recovery.(7 marks)