Data Communication and Wireless Sensor Networks - Dec 2014
Computer Engineering (Semester 5)
TOTAL MARKS: 100
TOTAL TIME: 3 HOURS (1) Question 1 is compulsory.
(2) Attempt any four from the remaining questions.
(3) Assume data wherever required.
(4) Figures to the right indicate full marks.
Answer any one question from Q1 and Q2
1 (a) Encode the following binary data stream into unipolar, polar (RZ, NRZ), Bipolar NRZ and Manchester codes for given Data stream : 11100101.(5 marks)
1 (b) A network of CSMA/CD has a bandwidth of 10 Mbps. If the maximum propagation time (including the delays in the devices and ignoring the time needed to send a jamming signal) is 25.6 μs, what is the minimum size of the frame ?(5 marks)
10 (a) Write short note on:
1) Tiny OS
2) Magnet OS.(8 marks) 10 (b) Explain information based sensor tracking.(8 marks) 2 (a) What are different application of WSN ?(7 marks) 2 (b) Give definitions. 1) Baud rate 2) Bit rate 3) SNR.(3 marks)
Answer any one question from Q3 and Q4
3 (a) Explain what is meant by slope overload and granular noise distortion. Also explain how adaptive delta modulation improves system tolerance to slope overload.(7 marks) 3 (b) Write short note on Virtual LAN.(3 marks) 4 (a) Explain stop and wait ARQ, GO back-n ARQ and selective repeat ARQ. Comment on the performance of each.(6 marks) 4 (b) Explain WSN architecture in details.(4 marks)
Answer any one question from Q5 and Q6
5 (a) Write short notes on:
2) Sparse Topology and Energy Management (STEM)(10 marks) 5 (b) Explain in detail contention based protocols.(6 marks) 6 (a) With the help of detail flow schematic diagram explain slotted CSMA-CA protocol.(8 marks) 6 (b) What do you mean by LEACH protocol ? Explain organization of LEACH protocol(8 marks)
Answer any one question from Q7 and Q8
7 (a) What are different routing challenges and design issues in WSN?(8 marks)
7 (b) Explain in detail data dissemination and gathering.(8 marks)
7 (c) What is piconet ?(2 marks)
8 (a) Write short notes on:
1) Sensor Protocol for Information via Negotiations (SPIN).
2) Geographic and energy aware routing(10 marks) 8 (b) What are different types of routing strategies in WSN?(8 marks)
Answer any one question from Q9 and Q10
9 (a) Explain various parameters needed for determining distances to anchor nodes.(8 marks) 9 (b) Explain the impact of anchor placement.(8 marks)