These are the members laid transversely, under the rail for supporting and fixing them at the gauge distance apart are known as sleepers.
There are three types of sleepers :
1) Wooden sleepers 2) Metal sleepers 3) Concrete sleepers
Necessity of sleepers:
- To maintain alignment of track
- They hold the rails to proper gauge firmly and evenly.
- They distribute load over large area of ballast.
- To absorb vibrations caused by train, they will act as an elastic medium between rails and ballast.
- They not only support rails but they also helps in maintaining proper super elevation on curves.
- They provides overall stability to the permanent way.
Track length = 6km
No. of sleepers =?
n = 13m
Sleeper density = M+6
To find no. of sleepers = M+6
Total sleepers required = 19*6
Therefore, total 114 sleepers will required for the 6 km long track.