• Radio frequency identification (RFID) is an automatic identification method, based on storing and remotely retrieving data using devices called RFID tags or transponders.
• Fig 1 shows schematic of RFID.
• The following are the RFID components
a) An RFID tag is an object that can be incorporated into a product, animal, or person for the purpose of identification using radio waves.
b) There are two types of tag. Passive tags & Active tag.
c) Passive tags tag require no internal power source, whereas active tags require a power source.
2) Transponder: The transponder emits messages with an identification number that is retrieved from a database and acted upon accordingly. The writable memory is used to transmit information among RFID readers in different locations.
3) The Interrogator: an antenna packaged with a transceiver and decoder, emits a signal activating the RFID tag so it can read and write data to it. When an RFID tag passes through the electromagnetic zone, it detects the reader’s activation signal.
4) Reader : The reader decodes the data encoded in the tag circuit and the data is passed to the host computer. The application software on the host processes the data.