• WiMAX is an advanced technology designed for very high speed wide area Internet access(Point to Multipoint), in a low-cost, flexible way.
• IEEE 802.16 Standard is used for Wi Max.
• Fig 1 Shows Wi- Max Protocol Architecture.
• There are Four protocol layers as shown in fig 1.
• Physical Layer :- It is responsible for the frequency band & medium of transmission, bit rate ,generating frames etc
• Transmission layer : It deals with encoding or decoding of signals , Transmission or reception of data bits.
• Medium Access Cotrol (MAC)Layer : It is responsible for transmitting data frames & controlling wireless access.
• Convergence layer : Provides Functions that are required for providing required service
Features of WI-MAX :
1) Frequency Band = 10-66 GHz
2) Modulation used = QPSK-16
3) Channel bandwidth =1.25 MHz--- 25 MHz
4) IEEE Standard =802.16 ,802.16,802.16 e
5) Data rate = max of 75 Mbps
6) Coverage area = 10 Km