written 16 months ago by
modified 6 months ago
Computer Engineering (Semester 5)
Total marks: 80
Total time: 3 Hours
(1) Question 1 is compulsory.
(2) Attempt any three from the remaining questions.
(3) Draw neat diagrams wherever necessary.
Enumerate the main responsibilities of the data link layer.
What are the different guided and unguided transmission media?
Explain with examples the classification of IPV4 addresses.
Compare and contrast a circuit switching and a packet switching network.
Consider a message represented by the polynomial M(x) = x 5 +x 4 +x. Consider a 10
generating polynomial G(x) = x 3 + x 2 + 1 (1101). Generate a 3 bit CRC and show what
will be the transmitted frame. How is the error detected by CRC?
What is ISO-OSI reference model ? Compare it with TCP/IP reference model. Which layer is sued for the following:
- i) to route packets
- ii) to convert packets to frame
- iii) to detect and correct errors
- iv) to run services like FTP, TELNET etc.
Explain Distance Vector Routing. What are its limitations and how are they overcome?
What are congestion prevention policies? Explain Congestion Control in Virtual Circuit and Datagram Subnets
With the help of suitable example explain sliding window protocol with selective reject. Compare its performance to sliding window with Go-back-n technique.
Explain with the help of suitable diagram TCP connection management and release.
Explain 1-persitent, p-persistent and 0-persistent CSMA giving strong and weak points of each.
What is subnetting? Given the class C network 192.168.10.0, use the subnet mask 255.25.255.192 to create subnets and answer the following:
- i) What is the number of subnets created?
- ii) How many hosts per subnet?
- iii) Calculate the IP address of the first host, the last host and the broadcast address of each
Q6) Write a short notes on:
SNMP and MIB
Border Gateway Protocol