Module 01. Introduction
- Types of steel structures,
- Properties of Structural Steel,
- Indian Standard Specifications and Sections,
- Design Requirements & Design Process,
- Advantages and limitations of WSM,
- Introduction to Limit State Design, partial safety factors for load and resistance, design load combinations, section classification such as plastic, compact, semi-compact and slender.
Module 02: Design of tension members
- Introduction, types of tension members, net area calculation.
- Design strength due to yielding, rupture and block shear.
- Design of tension members with welded and bolted end connection using single angle section & double angle section.
Module 03: Design of compression members and column bases
3.1 Introduction, types of compression members, classification of cross sections, types of buckling, effective length of column and slenderness ratio, buckling curves, design of compression members as struts using single angle sections & double angle section.
3.2 Design of axially loaded column using rolled steel sections, design of built up column, laced and battened Columns.
3.3 Design of slab bases & gusseted base.
Module 04: Design of beams and welded plate girder
4.1 Design strength in bending, effective length, Lateral torsion buckling behavior of unrestrained beams, design of single rolled section with or without flange plates, design strength of laterally supported beams, low and high shear, design strength of laterally unsupported beams, web buckling, web crippling, shear lag effect and deflection. Design of angle section purlin.
4.2 Design of welded plate girder: proportioning of web and flanges, flange plate curtailment, stiffeners and connections.
Module 05: Design of connections
- Design of bolted and welded beam to beam and beam to column connections.
- Framed, stiffened and unstiffened seat, bracket connections.
Module 06: Design of truss
- Design of determinate truss. Calculation of dead load, live load and wind load acting on truss.
- Load combinations and calculation of internal forces. Design and detailing of members.
- Support detailing.