Technological advancements in the form of 3.5G, LTE or super 3G and Ultra Mobile Broadband (UMB) are considered to meet the demands of increasing data rate applications and value added services such as interactive video. LTE offers several benefits for users as well as service providers. IT supports flexible bandwidth from below 5MHz up to 20 MHz.IT also supports FDD and TDD.LTE will be deployed in parallel with simplified,IP based core and transport networks that are easy to install, maintain and introduce services on.LTE defines new radio connection for mobile networks and will utilize Orthogonal Frequency Divison Multiplexing (OFDM).
The prominent features of LTE includes:
- High data rates of up to 100 Mbps for down-links and 500 Mbps for up-links.
- Use of advance OFDMA technology
- Horizontally oriented structure.
- Flexibility for operators to deploy in different side bands according to availability of spectrum.
- Higher spectral efficiencies by using advance antenna systems like MIMOC (Multiple Input Multi-Output).