Short Message Service (SMS)
Short Message Service (SMS):
- SMS are good for short, bursty transmissions. SMS are good for point-to-point communications from mobile or from other external sources to mobile.
- SMS can be used to send a message to a large number of people at a time, either from a list of contacts or to all the users within a particular area. This service is called broadcasting and is used by companies to contact groups of employees or by online services to distribute news and other information to subscribers.
- It is a good alternative for alphanumeric paging. It is very reliable for message delivery and can be used as an event delivery mechanism.
- The texters preferred SMS to voice calls for its convenience as well as for the ability to review a message before sending it.
- SMS doesn't overload the network as much as phone calls, it is frequently used by TV shows to let viewers vote on a poll topic or for a contestant.
- Access from external sources such as email makes it convenient to generate messages.
- Internet search engines such as Yahoo! and Google have short messaging services that enable users to get information such as driving directions, movie showtimes or local business listings just by texting a query to the search engine's phone number.
- It is more discreet than a phone conversation, making it the ideal form for communicating when you don't want to be overheard.
- SMS is also a convenient way for deaf and hearing-impaired people to communicate.
- SMS is a store-and-forward service, meaning that when you send a text message to a friend, the message does not go directly to your friend's cell phone.
- The advantage of this method is that your friend's cell phone doesn't have to be active or in range for you to send a message. The message will remain stored on your friend's SIM card until he deletes it.
- SMS can be easily tracked using the delivery reports. You are able to see which messages were delivered to which mobile numbers.
- SMS messages can be scheduled to go out at a certain date and time. Your message gets across in 160 characters or less. Short and sweet.
Please log in to add an answer.