In a SONET identify between a section a line a path
SONET stands for Synchronous Optical Network. SONET is a communication protocol that is used to transmit a large amount of data over relatively large distances using optical fibre.
1. Path Layer:
- It is end-to-end portion of the network.
- Path layer is used for the movement of signals from its optical source to its optical destination.
- Path layer functions are provided by STS Mux/Demux.
2. Line Layer:
- It is portion of network connecting two neighbouring multiplexers.
- Line Layer is responsible for the movement of signal across a physical line.
- Line layer functions are provided by STS Mux/Demux and Add/Drop Mux .
3. Section Layer:
- It is portion of network connecting two neighbouring devices.
- Section layer is responsible for the movement of signal across a physical section.
- Each device of network provides section layer functions.
4. Photonic Layer:
- It is the physical layer of the OSI model.
- This layer includes physical specifications for the optical fibre channel.