The advantages of multistage compressor over single stage are as follows:
1. The work done in compressing the air is reduced, thus power can be saved.
2. Prevents mechanical problems as the air temperature is controlled.
3. The suction and delivery valves remain in cleaner condition as the temperature and vaporization of lubricating oil is less.
4. The machine is smaller and better balanced.
5. Effects from moisture can be handled better, by draining at each stage.
6. Compression approaches near isothermal.
7. Compression ratio at each stage is lower when compared to a single-stage machine.
8. Light moving parts usually made of aluminium, thus less cost and better maintenance.