Compare Full Scaling & Constant Voltage Scaling models of MOSFET .Demonstrate clearly the effects of scaling on the device density, speed of the circuit, power consumption and current density of the
Effects of scaling:
- The Full scaling technique attempts to preserve the magnitude of internal electric fields in the MOSFET, while the dimensions are scaled down by factor of ‘s’.
- In Constant voltage scaling, all dimensions of the MOSFET are reduced by a factor of ‘s’, but power supply & terminal voltage remain unchanged.
- Device density is the area i.e. Area = L.W, therefore after scaling it becomes, Area’ = Area/ $s^2$
- Also current density is given by J = $I_D$/Area. Therefore for Full scaling, J’ = s.J and for Constant voltage scaling, J’ = $s^3$ .J
- In Constant voltage scaling, drain current density and power density are increased which may eventually cause serious reliability problem for the scaled transistor such as electro-migration, hot carrier degradation, oxide breakdown & electrical overstress.
Please log in to add an answer.