|written 4.6 years ago by||• modified 3.4 years ago|
|written 4.6 years ago by|
Characteristic of contour:
1. Contour line is closer near the top of a hill or high ground and wide apart near the foot. This indicates a very steep slope toward the peak and flatter slope toward the foot.
2. Contour line is closure near the bank of a pond or depression and wide apart toward the centre. This indicates a steep slope near the bank and a flatter slope at the centre.
3. Uniformly spaced contour line indicates a uniform slope.
4. Contour line always from a closed circuit but this line may be within or outside the limit of the map.
5. Contour line cannot cross one another expect in the case of an overhanging cliff. But the overlapping portion must be shown by a dotted line.
6. When higher values are inside ridgeline indicates a ridge line. Contour lines cross ridge line at right angle.
7. When lower values are inside the loop, it indicates a valley line at right angle.
8. A series of closed contours always indicate a depression or summit. The lower value being inside the loop indicates a depression and higher value being inside the loop indicate a summit.
9. Depression between summits is called saddles.
10. Contour line meeting at a point indicates a vertical cliff.