While selecting the location of the intakes, the following factors are considered.
1) To reduce the cost of conveyance of treated water the intake should be located near the treatment plant.
2) The intake should be located in the comparatively fresh water zone to reduce the load of the treatment work.
3) Intake should be located at such locations, from where water is available even during dry summers.
4) Intake structure must be near the jack well.
5) The site should remain easily accessible during flood& should not get flooded.