A File format is a structure that defines how information is stored in the file and how that information is displayed on the monitor.
There are different file formats:
- BMP images are developed by Microsoft can save both monochrome as well as colour images.
- The quality of bmp images is very good
- Eg:computer wallpapers,the documents saved in paintbrush are BMP images.
- TIFF is the wellknown format developed in 1986.
- Its many versions are standard image for a bit-mapped graphics image.
- TIFF is data compression technique for monochrome as well as colour images.
- The usually occupy less space.
- Eg:Images seen on the internet sites are normally TIFF.
- Joint Photographic Expert Group is the name of the committee that developed ana image format which uses Compression algorithm.
- JPEG images are compressed image which occupy very little space.
- It is based on DCT.
- They are lossy images hence the quality of images are not that good as BMP.
- Eg: Natural images.
Aithough these formats differ in technical details,they share structural similarities.
Fig: The structure of information encoded in an image file.
The image file consists of two parts:
(1)Header: Gives us the information about the kind of image
(2)Image data:Data of image.