i) Lateral tie in column
The main functions of lateral reinforcements in RC columns are:
- It prevents longitudinal reinforcement bars from buckling,
- It resists the shear force and hence contributes avoiding shear failure.
- It confines the concrete core to provide sufficient ductility or deformability, and
- It restrains the spliced bars and hence prevents their slip.
ii) Main steel and distribution steel in slab
- The purpose of providing main bar is to transfer the bending load developed at the bottom of the slab to the beams.
- Distribution bars are provided to resist the shear stress, cracks developed in the longer span.
iii) Stirrups in beams
Main purpose of using stirrups is given below-
- It provides shear strength to column because it is found that many column fail in shear at the time of earthquake.
- It provides confinement to concrete column and increases its compressive strength.
- It prevents lateral buckling of main reinforcement in column.
- At the time of concreting it prevent movement of main reinforcement.
- It improves ductility of column. Improve dowel action of column reinforcement. In beam stirups used for lump sum same purpose as in column.