i) Lateral tie in column
The main functions of lateral reinforcements in RC columns are:
- It prevents longitudinal reinforcement bars from buckling,
- It resists the shear force and hence contributes avoiding
- It confines the concrete core to provide
sufficient ductility or deformability, and
- It restrains the spliced bars and hence prevents their slip.
ii) Main steel and distribution steel in slab
- The purpose of providing main bar is to transfer the bending
load developed at the bottom of the slab to the beams.
- Distribution bars are provided to resist the shear stress,
cracks developed in the longer span.
iii) Stirrups in beams
Main purpose of using stirrups is given below-
- It provides shear strength to column because it is found that
many column fail in shear at the time of earthquake.
- It provides confinement to concrete column and increases
its compressive strength.
- It prevents lateral buckling of main reinforcement in
- At the time of concreting it prevent movement of main
- It improves ductility of column.
Improve dowel action of column reinforcement.
In beam stirups used for lump sum same purpose as in