Techniques for improving coverage and capacity of celluar system
- It is the process of subdividing a congested cell into
- It increase the capacity of cellular system line it increases the
number of times channels are reused.
- By defining new cells which have smaller radius than original cells
and by installing by these smaller cells (microcells) between existing
Fig: Cell Splitting
- Sectoring uses directional antenna to control interference and
- A cell is normally partitioned into 3 sectors or 6 sectors.
Coverage zone (Microcell concept):
- When sectoring is employed, lot if handoff is required due to this
load on switching and control link element of the mobile system
To solve this, a microcell concept for seven cell reuse is used.
- Each of three zones sites are connected to single base station.
- Zones are connected by co-axial fibre optic cable or microwave link
to a base station.