- A database system isacollection of data as well as programs required to manage that data.
- A database system isacomputerized record-keeping system.
- The main purpose of this system is to maintain data and provide it to the user when it is required.
- Data is the most important component of database system.
- Data isacollection of facts stored in the database.
- The basic purpose ofadatabase system is to store, maintain and process data for the user.
- The physical components ofacomputer system are called hardware.
- The hardware is used to perform different tasks such as input, storage and processing.
- Some important hardware components are as follov
- Secondary storage
- I/0 devices
- Main memory
- Software isacollection of programs used by computer withinadatabase system.
- The most important software is DBMS itself. It uses three type of software to enable the data base system work properly.
- These are as follows:
- Operating system software:
- DBMS Software
Application programs and utilities.
Operating system software:
- It manages all hardware components.
- It also enanles all other software to run on the computer.
- to manages the database in the database system.
Application programs and utilities:
- the application programmers write application Programs to access data from database.
The people related to the database system are called personnel. Different types of persons inadatabase system are as follows:
They manage DBMS's use and ensure that database is functioning properly.
- They are responsible of the whole database system.
- They authorize access to database and monitor the use and working of database system.
- The application programmers write applicatior programs to access data from database.
- End Users: End users are the people who use application programs to perform different tasks on database. They include clerks, managers and directors etc.